Thursday, April 17, 2008

cursed reading

Does anyone else struggle with writing cuss words in the books they are reading? I don't struggle with it very often ... only when I don't like the way someone is arguing (I struggle with cussing when listening to politicians too). A while ago I read a book by Donald Bloech (I think that is right). It was one of his shorter ones and I still hear he is highly recommended and respected, but I found him making ridiculous arguments and throwing some of my other favorite people under the bus (old dead people who I have never met, but love nonetheless) and I would write out very mean things in response. Sometimes I erased them after I wrote them ... I am not sure why. I don't suspect anyone will ever read my copy of the book, I just felt like it was too much to leave in the margin. Other times, I left it ... feeling like it was justified. Occasionally I will read these to Tara to try and make her laugh at me. Sometimes she does.

But maybe I have said to much. Please don't read this as condoning cussing. I will not tell you which words I use (I mean who knows ... maybe I am referring to horrible things like "darnett all"). Seriously, I don't believe that cussing in general adds very much color to things and often is massively over used. So don't use this blog to justify anything.

I am reading a book now that is making me mad. I had to put it down for a while ...

I guess I am just posting to let people know how worked up I get about books. Do you guys experience that too?

I am definitely a nerd.

3 comments:

Jeff Luce said...

I feel your pain Jason.

Unknown said...

You are not alone, Campbell. I do the same thing. My bestest most favorite seminary professor (Dr. Robert Smith, Jr) had wise counsel for me in regard to this issue. He said, "John, you're not going to like everything you read. But don't just throw the book out and quit reading it; you're got to learn to chew on the fish and spit out the bones.

Even still, sometimes I don't feel like eating fish at all (i.e., there are some authors I can't stomach at all.

Meghan said...

Right there with you on this one.

I talk to books in the margins, too. And don't always say the nicest of things.