Tuesday, May 13, 2008

something old that fell out of a book

I remember writing it in New York (upstate) during the summer

My eyes fell upon a ruined house,
A devastated temple
The flesh was old and thin
Something dark and sweet around the mouth
but the belly swollen
The eyes were red and darting about
as if looking for a lost occupant
the spotted skin seemed stretched
to reveal a crooked and falling frame

how old?

23 was his reply.

Its time to rebuild.

Christ was it your Life 
that kept rot and decay from you
even in death.
But my composition is reversed
for in my living I have already begun to rot.
Although death may not be better
for this, my delicate skin and fragile frame.

So rebuild! Rebuild!

The words of Jesus are:
"Consumed with zeal for my house!"
Tear apart my temple and rebuild it Lord Jesus.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

This gave me goosebumps.

Anonymous said...

Mr. J-Bird,

A lingering presence remains after reading this dropped thought.

D,ERandEk