Sunday, May 13, 2007

Best Love Songs

For the last 2 years (off and on ... ok really just once or twice) I have been trying to write an essay called the Transcendence of a Love song. I began it when I heard the Nick Cave's spoken word essay called the Secret Life of a Love Song. I really didn't agree with some of what he said, but I love how he thinks and talks. One of the great lines was that a love song is our attempt to throw a blanket over God so we can see his face.

Anyway, in order to write this thing ... which is about how real transcendence and meaning has almost completely been lost in our kitch, temporal, tinsal age and one of the only places left where we are actually hit upside the head by such things is in radio love songs. Not that this works everytime.

But, in order to write this, I need to get some help with finding these gems. They can be as old as the blues, as old as jazz ... or as new as indie rock. If you can burn them on a cd, that would be amazing. My plan has always been to write the essay and burn a cd of the greatest love songs ever ... put them together and give them away. That may still be a ways off ... but since I finally have a blog I wanted to get some help.

SO, at the least ... comment with your favorite love songs of all times (track titles and band/artist name).

thanks

PS ... here is the start of the essay ... I have more that is even better, but I will hold back.

"There are many things missing in our tiny modern days. These days feel like walking on shattering glass and hoping to stay ahead of the breakline. So many things have been discarded there is grave danger that our sheet of time won’t hold much longer. Or speaking of glass in another way, one might say that our time is one where a plate of glass has been laid over life, so as to preserve it and display it before our eyes like old dead things in a museum. Either way, one of the many things missing is transcendence and without it our society will continue to shatter into meaninglessness antiquity.

The absent transcendence produces in us a stiffening business that restlessly moves about without encompassing ideas or purpose. “Nothing large can be true or we couldn’t know it if it was,” we say with a cold rationality as we commit vivisection to another helpless animal, hoping to see the electricity of life so we can bottle it and drink it in our Rock Stars and Gatorade. But we at least still sing about something that lifts us from this empty economy of modern life. It is love. There is a little transcendence left in love."

6 comments:

danny said...

"my one and only love" -- i think sinatra first snag it, but i know the sting version from leaving las vegas

"when i look to the sky" -- train

although, after reading your little snippet, maybe you should include annie lennox "walking on broken glass"

Anonymous said...

Its kind of an obvious one, but the Cure's "Lovesong" is one of the top picks in my book. Then of course there is The Church's "Under The Milky Way". And let us not forget U2's "With Or Without You". That is a make-out hit!

Marty "I can't remember my password to log in to the blog" Reardon

Meghan said...

Another obvious one is "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel

Let's see...some others...most likely not viewed as the greatest love songs of all time, but I so adore these...

"The Luckiest" by Ben Folds

"A Secret Message To You" by Devics

"Halo" by The Gravity Show

"Glory Of True Love" by John Prine

"So High" by John Legend

"Ice Cream" by Sarah what's her face...;-)

"Wild Horses" (The Sunday's version)

"All I Want Is You" by U2

I'll probably think of more later...

Love what you've written so far...

katiewhitecoat said...

i know that i might be alone, but tom waits really makes me feel like a woman. i don't have any of his stuff with me, but the first thing that comes to mind is ''hold on'' track 3 on mule variations. it might not have sappy lyrics, but every time i hear it i weep a little.

and leonard cohen. ''hey, that's no way to say goodbye''

and, aparently where i am is the host of the umbrian jazz festival! so, i went and saw italian jazz in a bar the other night. thought you might enjoy that little tid bit.

jaypercival said...

Hey guys ... thanks! I haven't heard some of these, but will definitley check them out.

Meg, I am glad to see Prine's song on somebody's list. I like that one to.

Katie ... I LOVE "hey thats no way to say goodbye"!!!

If anyone hasn't heard that ... go by it ... way worth the 99 cents.

Unknown said...

my favorite love song is "nothing even matters" by lauryn hill and d'angelo.

And it doesn't always have to be slow stuff. i really like stuff like "signed, sealed delivered" by stevie wonder because it kind of gives me that feeling that i originally had when i was leaving Tanya's house at like 2 in the morning.